I think people (well I say people, just one friend of mine) will be disappointed with this list as it features quite a few mainstream albums. I felt 2010 was a bit disappointing when it came to albums. There are not many albums I felt the need to check out this year.
However, the albums that made the list are all here for different reasons!
10) Come Around Sundown - Kings of Leon // I know a few KOL fans who didn’t give this album a chance as they were disappointed with Only by the Night. I think older KOL fans are more annoyed at the new, annoying fan base they picked up with the release of ‘Sex on Fire’. Of course it is not Aha Shake or Because of the times but this album is still pretty good. The only bad thing about this album was that awful video that accompanied the single ‘Radioactive’. I saw them live this year at Birmingham and they were brilliant.
09) Plastic Beach - Gorillaz // Nothing beats Demon Days but there is a few tracks I skip but it’s a good album with interesting collaborations. After seeing them live I liked the album more.
08) Fly Yellow Moon - Fyfe Dangerfield // Really like this album, was lucky enough to see him live whilst I was working at Shepherds Bush Empire this year.
07) Losing Sleep - Edwyn Collins // A great comeback for Edwyn! Not a huge fan of Indie music, but the collaborations aren’t bad. I saw him live this year too, it was sad to him barely being able to walk but it was still a great gig. He did old solo stuff, old Orange Juice stuff and had a few people off the album come on stage too. I really respect this man, what a legend.
06) Volume 2 - She and Him // Was quite excited about this album too. I don’t think it is as good as Volume 1, but it didn’t disappoint.
05) Hurley - Weezer // After hearing the single ‘Memories’ at Reading Festival this year, I was looking forward to hearing the rest of the album. I wasn’t sure about it at first (but I don’t think I was the only Weezer fan who wasn’t), but it soon became one of my most listened albums of the year. The only part that disappointed me was their choice to cover Coldplay.
04) Outbursts - Turin Brakes // To go in a new and slightly different direction is always a brave thing for any band to do. I was not disappointed in any way with this album, this band will always be one of my favourites.
03) Grinderman 2 - Grinderman // Another highly anticipated album for me, Nick Cave never fails to disappoint.
02) We Are Born - Sia // I’m pretty sure this has been one of the albums I have listened to most this year. I love every track on this album.
01) Here Lies Love - David Byrne & Fatboy Slim // Despite the fact the second disc is better than the first, this just has to be number one. My father and I was so excited about the release. I love David Byrne, and Fatboy Slim is good also - the album is packed with different styles, vocals, etc. Even if you’re not a huge fan of any of the artists on the album, I urge you to check it out anyway - it’s pretty funky!